Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adhesive tape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IVAA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Adhesive tape Reply with quote

Determine the force necessary to remove a piece of adhesive tape from a horizontal surface. Investigate the influence of relevant parameters.

I don't ask to solve it completely, just give me instructions, if you known ofc
hepcj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hang weights on the tape and measure how much force it takes to pull the tape off a horizontal surface for different widths and lengths of tape. Measure the surface area of tape and obtain a force per unit area result.
But if you think about how tape fails, however, it is does not come unstuck immediately. Rather it peels off and how it does so will depend on where the weight is positioned. Investigate how long it takes to peel off for the same length of tape and different types of tape. Longer times would indicate stronger adhesive.
Look and see if there are any standard tests that industry uses to test how strong their glue is. You should be able to get some information from this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: