Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mastering Physics HmwK Questions!! PLEASE HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchristinaox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Mastering Physics HmwK Questions!! PLEASE HELP Reply with quote

PROBLEM-You drag a heavy box along a rough horizontal floor by a horizontal rope.
1)Identify the reaction force to the pull of the rope on the box.
A..The friction force on the box.
B.The box pulls on the rope.
C.The normal force on the box.
D.The weight of the box

2) Identify the reaction force to the friction force on the box.
a)The friction force is a horizontal force applied to the box by the floor.The reaction force is the pull of the box on the rope.
b)The friction force is a horizontal force applied to the box by the floor. The reaction force is a horizontal force in the opposite direction applied by the box to the floor.
c)The friction force is a horizontal force applied to the box by the floor. The reaction force is a downward force applied by the box to the floor.
d)There is no reaction here.

3)Identify the reaction force to the normal force on the box.
A)The normal force is an upward force applied by the floor to the box. The reaction force is the pull of the box on the rope.
B)There is no reaction here.
C)The reaction force is a horizontal force applied by the box to the floor.
D)The normal force is an upward force applied by the floor to the box. The reaction force is a downward force applied by the box to the floor.

4)Identify the reaction force to the weight of the box.
A)There is no reaction here.
B)The weight of the box is a downward force applied to the box by the earth. The reaction force is an upward force applied to the earth by the box.
C)The weight of the box is a downward force applied to the box by the earth. The reaction force is a downward force applied to the earth by the box.
D)The weight of the box is a downward force applied to the box by the earth. The reaction force is a horizontal force applied by the box to the floor.
A physics teacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Mcq Reply with quote

May I sugest you give us your answers and then we will give you the correct answers. Because Us teachers do not like to give answers without the students having attempted them at least once.
xchristinaox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1 I would go with B
For 2 I would go with C
For 3 I would go with D and
For 4 I would go with D as well, Is this correct?
A physics teacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The box pull on the rope.
When you pull on the rope you will feel a resistance. This will be the box "pulling on the rope".
Answer B

2.The answer is D. Friction is a force that opposes motion. Hence there cannot be a reaction

3. The normal is the reaction to the weight of the box. The weight cannot be the reaction to the normal
answer B

4. Answer seems to be B. But the answer will be that the raction force will be an upward force by the earth on the box

Remember there can only be a reaction if there is a force being applied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: