Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newtonian Mechanics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBR600F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Newtonian Mechanics Reply with quote

Sorry if this question seems remedial. I'm trying to learn physics for fun in my own time. But this has had me stumped for too long. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to work it out.

The answer is 5.0kg. I know because I looked in the back of the book. I just can't figure out the methodology. The examples leading up to this question don't involve spring balances.

Q. A body hangs from a spring balance which is suspended from the ceiling of a lift. What is the mass of the body if the balance registers a reading of 70N when the lift has an upward acceleration of 4.0 ms^-2? (g = 10ms^-2).

I know by Newton's Second Law that F = ma, and so 70 = m/4.0, and therefore m = 70/4.0 = 17.5kg. But I know that this is based of an 'artificial' weight caused by upward acceleration, and is not the body's actual mass.

Please help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: