Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motion in a plane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yetrs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Motion in a plane Reply with quote

So, this is my first year in physics since 8th grade. I'm taking General Physics 10A. I'm using the book Physics by Giambattista and Richardson. 2nd edition.

I'm having a real hard time with this vector adding and how they coincide with the motion in a plane, especially when angles are thrown into the equation. I think the main problem I have is breaking down the problem and understanding how it should look as a picture and what each thing means.

Once I get the ball rolling, I start understanding what to do next.

I currently have 4 problems I'm not understanding but the hardest one for me is;

A small plane is flying directly west with an airspeed of 30.0 m/s. The plane flies into a regiom where the wind is blowing at 10.0 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees to the south of west. In that region, the pilot changes the directional heading to maintain her due west heading. (a) What is the change she makes in the directional heading to compensate for the wind? (b) After the heading change, what is the ground speed of the airplane?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: