Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Energy Required to Push Up a Slope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuriousListener

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Energy Required to Push Up a Slope Reply with quote

Hello, I am having a bit of trouble with this problem:

A 5kg block is moved up a slope with a constant velocity of 2.5m/s. The amount of force required to push the block up the slope is 20.0 N.

The ramp's height is 45.0 cm, the ramp's length horizontally on the ground is 150 cm, and the diagonal or hypotenuse is 125 cm.

How much energy is required to push the block up the slope?

---------------------

Notes:
Our teacher told us that the angle of the slope should not be used to calculate this, as we have not learned how to do that yet.

I'm not sure about this, but would the energy required just be equal to the potential energy at the top of the slope, i.e. mgh? Or are there other factors that need to be taken into consideration? Thanks a ton for any help or explanations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: