Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College or distance learning course?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawne2409

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: College or distance learning course? Reply with quote

I am wondering if someone can give an unbiased opinion on the above question. i have sought advise from both a local college and a distance learning college about studying a physics as/a2 level course, as i expect both have adivsed me they "its best to do it through us", but i thought a forum would be more honest!
i am not looking at changing career, and i may not be clever enough to even finish the course but i have a genuine interest in physics and would like to expand my knowlege in this area.
Is there anyone that can give advice about this?
Feel free to ask me any questions if it helps to answer this query!
thanks
dawn[/b]
hepcj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out the local options first. Bear in mind, the standard of college courses varies, so you should look at a few colleges in your area. Physically attending a college would provide other benefits that an online course could not such as practical experimental work and meeting like minded people. If you like physics, then there are also many online resources that will bolster your knowledge so the choices of attend college or study online are not mutually exclusive. Also, I think that online learning is still in its infancy and so may not have the recognition that traditional college has even though there is some great online content, from top universities such as MIT and Yale. My advice, therefore, is to check out each of the colleges in your area and compare them. You may be able to find national statistics about the colleges in your area that will help you make an objective decision. Choose the best one that meets your needs and then use online learning to help you in your course once you have started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: