Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index Splung.com Physics Forum
Discuss physics or ask questions. Part of the Splung.com physics web site.

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with stellar magnitudes and distances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketoctopus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Help with stellar magnitudes and distances Reply with quote

Hi there, i was reading your bit about stellar distances and magnitudes on the internet as I am studing astronomy and am stuck on a particular question and your formulas didnt help me....the question is this....

The stars Vega and Phad are both of spectral type A0V. Vega lies at a distance of 7.8 parsecs and has an apparent visual magnitude of 0.03. Phad appears 9 times fainter than Vega to an obsever on the Earth.

(i) calculate the parallax of vega. (I calculated this to be 0.13)

(ii) Calculate the absolute visual magnitude of Vega. (using M = m - 5logd +5 I calculated it to be 0.57

(iii) Calculate the apparent visual magnitude of Phad. (using m1 - m2 = -2.5log(b1/b2) I calculated this to be 2.42

(iv) Estimate the distance of Phad from the Sun assuming negligible interstellar extinction.State any assumptions you make?

This question I have tried for so long to calculate and cannot do it using any formulas how do you work this out.

Kind regards
Brad
hepcj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brad,
Parts (i) - (iii) seem reasonable.
Part (iv) also had me stumped for a while. I was going through different ways of trying to find the distance modulus but I think the key point is that you know the relative brightness of Vega and Phad is 1:1/9.

Because of the inverse square law, Phad will be 3 times as far a Vega. You know the distance of Vega, so a rough estimate ofthe distance to Phad will be
3 x 7.8 = 23.4 pc

It is a pretty crude approximation and it relies on both stars being the same size and luminosity. The real value is 25.648 pc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Splung.com Physics Forum Forum Index -> Physics Help. Ask a Physics Expert All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: